Bristol PLUS Award Celebrations!

A group of Bristol PLUS and Outstanding Award students joined the Careers Service in celebrating amazing student achievement that has taken place this year at the Bristol SU award ceremony. The award ceremony, which took place on Thursday 11th June saw University of Bristol students, staff and external partners gather to celebrate a year of student success.  Held in the recently refurbished Richmond Building, the glitzy event was a night to remember, honouring student activity through societies, sports clubs, volunteering, fundraising and student media. awards 14 awards were presented this year, including the Employability Award, sponsored by UBS which recognised those students who had shown particular excellence through the Bristol PLUS Outstanding Award. The Bristol PLUS Outstanding Award is an extension of the Bristol PLUS Award for students who can demonstrate evidence of high level employability skills identified by employers as skills that are crucial for the workplace.10488216_10152185404597321_1095913227611072575_n In order to achieve the Outstanding Award students must give a presentation to a panel of University of Bristol staff, employers and alumni.  Each student must articulate the following skills:

• Leadership & teamwork
  • Commercial awareness
  • Problem solving
  • Management of resources
  • Knowledge of CSR/sustainability

This year 480 students have completed the Bristol PLUS Award and 25 of these went on to achieve the Outstanding Award. Of those 25, 5 nominees were short-listed by the Careers Service. The nominees were:

• Frankie Quinn for his volunteering role in Luton with Gavin Shuker (MP)
  • Emma Phipkin for her role as Managing Director of FUZE, the UK’s largest student-run charity fashion, dance and music show
  • Grace Hart for her role as President of AIESEC
  • Olivia Maxwell for her role as Marketing Director of FUZE
  • Cindy Laing for her role as Lead International Office Student Ambassador

We were delighted to announce Emma Phipkin as the winner of the award. Emma was selected for demonstrating particular excellence in articulating the skills required both in written form and during her presentation to the panel. awards3

Many thanks to Jamie Corbin for providing this photograph of Emma being presented with her award by Stuart Johnson, Director of the Careers Service.